Serie: Wait for You #1
Genre: New Adult, Hedendaags
Gepubliceerd: Februari 2013
Taal: Engels, vertaald in het NL
Nederlanse titel: Wacht op mij
Waardering: ★★★★★
Add to Goodreads
Some things are worth waiting for… 
Traveling thousands of miles from home to enter college is the only way nineteen-year-old Avery Morgansten can escape what happened at the Halloween party five years ago—an event that forever changed her life. All she needs to do is make it to her classes on time, make sure the bracelet on her left wrist stays in place, not draw any attention to herself, and maybe—please God—make a few friends, because surely that would be a nice change of pace. The one thing she didn’t need and never planned on was capturing the attention of the one guy who could shatter the precarious future she’s building for herself.

Some things are worth experiencing…
Cameron Hamilton is six feet and three inches of swoon-worthy hotness, complete with a pair of striking blue eyes and a remarkable ability to make her want things she believed were irrevocably stolen from her. She knows she needs to stay away from him, but Cam is freaking everywhere, with his charm, his witty banter, and that damn dimple that’s just so… so lickable. Getting involved with him is dangerous, but when ignoring the simmering tension that sparks whenever they are around each other becomes impossible, he brings out a side of her she never knew existed. 

Some things should never be kept quiet…
But when Avery starts receiving threatening emails and phone calls forcing her to face a past she wants silenced, she has no other choice but to acknowledge that someone is refusing to allow her to let go of that night when everything changed. When the devastating truth comes out, will she resurface this time with one less scar? And can Cam be there to help her or will he be dragged down with her?

And some things are worth fighting for…

Review:

J. Lynn is het pseudoniem waaronder Jennifer L. Armentrout hedendaagse Adult en New Adult romans schrijft. Je moet het maar net even weten en het is nog helemaal niet zo lang geleden dat ik daar achter kwam.
Er staan 2 Adults van haar op mijn verlanglijstje, maar toen ik zag dat ze een New Adult uitgegeven had wilde ik die eerst lezen want ik zit helemaal in een New Adult fase.
In het paranormale genre is ze één van mijn favoriete schrijfsters en ik verwachtte enorm veel van Wait for You.
En ze heeft me echt niet teleurgesteld. Het is een geweldig New Adult debuut met een hele goede, orignele verhaallijn. En wat kan ze toch goede dialogen schrijven. Ik moest tijdens dit verhaal ook regelmatig even denken aan Daemon van de serie Lux die, net als Cameron, ook zo heerlijk arrogant, grappig en adrem kan zijn.

• Dit is één van de geweldige dialogen tussen Avery en Cam:

"I don’t want to go out on a date with you.”
Cam didn’t look surprised by my response or undaunted.
“I figured you’d say that.”
“Then why did you ask?”
He finally—thank God—backed away and gripped the side of the door.
“Because I wanted to.”
“Oh. Well. Okay. Glad you got it out of your system.”
His brows knitted.“I haven’t gotten it out of my system.”
Oh no. “You haven’t?”
“Nope.” He flashed a charming grin. “There’s always tomorrow.”
“What about tomorrow?”
“I’ll ask you again.”
I shook my head. “The answer will be the same.”
“Maybe. Maybe not.” He reached out and tapped the tip of my nose.
“And maybe you’ll say yes. I’m a patient guy, and hey, like you said, I don’t give up easily.”
“Great,” I muttered, but…oh, oh man, there was an unfamiliar stirring in my chest.
“Knew you’d see it that way.” Cam tweaked the tip of my nose, and I swatted his hand away.“Don’t worry. I know the truth.”
“The truth about what?”
Cam stepped back. “You want to say yes, but you’re just not ready.”
My jaw dropped.
“It’s okay.” His grin turned cocky. “I’m a lot to handle, but I can assure you, you’ll have fun handling me.”
Then before I could muster up a response worthy of that statement, he tapped my nose once more and then shut the door in my face.

• en wat te denken van deze ...

"You are an enigma, Avery Morgansten.” 
I leaned against the counter, my eyes widening and he proceeded to eat half of the loaf. “Not really. More like you are.” 
“How so?” 
I gestured at him. “You just ate four hard-boiled eggs, you’re eating half of a loaf, and you have abs that look like they belong on a Bowflex ad.” 
Cam looked absolutely thrilled to hear that. “You’ve been checking me out, haven’t you? In-between your flaming insults? I feel like man candy.”

• en deze...

“You didn’t put a shirt on.”
He cast me a look as he headed into my kitchen. “I know it would break your heart not to be able to see me shirtless.”

:-) Cam heeft me ontzettend aan het lachen gemaakt met zijn eigenwijze, arrogante en verwaande opmerkingen. Maar ik was ook enorm onder de indruk van zijn geduld; dat hij toch steeds terug bleef komen terwijl Avery hem geen reden gaf om dat te doen. Hij weet niks van Avery's verleden maar voelt haarfijn aan dat ze iets meegemaakt heeft waardoor ze zich moeilijk kan en wil geven. Ze worstelt enorm met dat verleden en probeert het achter zich te laten, maar elke keer als ze denkt weer een stapje verder te zijn gekomen in haar verwerking wordt ze weer met haar neus op de feiten gedrukt. En niet alleen die afschuwelijke gebeurtenis speelt Avery parten, ook alles wat er daarna gebeurt is en hoe ze behandeld is, en nog steeds wordt, door diegenen waarvan je zou mogen verwachten dat ze je op alle fronten steunen. Ik had enorm respect voor haar vastbeslotenheid om het verleden achter zich te laten maar af en toe vroeg ik mij af of ze het ooit wel zou kunnen verwerken en Cam ooit de kans zou krijgen om te laten zien wat ze echt voor hem betekent.
Na zo'n geweldig New Adult debuut kijk ik natuurlijk met smart uit naar de volgende in deze serie. Over wie of wat die gaat is nog niet bekend, alleen dat hij uit komt in 2013 en Be With Me gaat heten.

---------------* Veel Leesplezier *---------------